Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Raven Cycle
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Release Date(first book): 19th September 2012
Buy at: BookDepository
This is the year she will fall in love
What I Liked:
- The story is character driven, not plot driven so it’s really easy to become invested in them
- How whimsical and magical the story felt
- The story is so weird but it works.
- On my copy of the first book it has the tag line “If you kiss your true love, he will die” this screams a cheesy romance, luckily for all of us this story is far from a cheesy love story, which was a pleasant surprise
- Friendships and family relationships are just as important as the romantic relationships
- The group’s dynamic is so perfect. Seriously, I want a group of friends like Blue and the raven boys.
- Every single character is vital to this story. I don’t think I can remember a single character that doesn’t play a huge role in the story
What I didn’t Like:
- The ending of the final book. It wasn’t that I didn’t like it, I just wasn’t very satisfied with certain aspects of it.
- There were some parts in book 3 and book 4 that dragged for me, but I was in a slump when reading both of them so that’s probably why
- How late Henry was introduced. I really think I could’ve loved him but Stiefvater left it too late for me to really care enough to say I loved him. I did like him, though
Do I Recommend It?
YES! I’d recommend giving the first book a try, even if you’re not the bigger paranormal fantasy fan (I’m not!). If you like character driven stories, you’ll love this.
One Quote Per Book:
- “She wasn’t interested in telling other people’s futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” ―
- “In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.
Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.
Her raven boys.” ―
- “Desire and dread lay right next to each other in his heart, each sharpening the other.” ―
- “He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn’t want it to be over.” ―
This is so hard because they’re all so damn beautiful but if I had to pick I’d say The Raven King, maybe because it’s the most recent and I’ve taken loads of pictures but I love the art on the cover.
Again, picking a favourite is really hard for me since I gave them all the same rating but I think I liked Blue Lily, Lily Blue the best.