So recently on twitter I posted a number of tweets giving reasons why you should read the lunar chronicles, if you haven’t already. My tweets got an amazing response so I thought I’d share my reasons here, on my blog.
- There’s so much diversity. Character’s come in all different shapes, sizes and colours. The racial diversity within this book is honestly amazing.
- POC (people of colour) aren’t portrayed as stereotypical or in an offensive manner.
- And they’re [POC] aren’t used as the token POC character (by that I mean when an author includes an underrepresented character just to be like hey I included diversity but they either get killed off early on or aren’t given a major role in the story) but they play a HUGE role in the story.
- The main character, Cinder, is disabled but she never lets her disability deter her. Disable characters, especially in YA, are so underrepresented so seeing a disabled character in a SFF book is amazing.
- The characters aren’t one-dimensional. Sure we all know who’s on the “good” side and who’s on the “bad” side, but the people on the good side have done some questionable things and it gets addressed (It’s not glossed over which often happens).
- This might be a retelling but Meyer definitely makes the story her own.
- Great platonic male/female relationships and there are also some great female/female and male/male friendships too.
- Addresses discrimination within society, which is unfortunately still really relevant to our own world.
- Has a male sexual harassment/assault victim (KIND OF A SPOILER MAYBE? In Fairest, if those of you who’ve read are wondering why I’m saying this END OF THE MAYBE SPOILER).
- There are so many different personalities within this book that you’re more than likely to find at least one character who you’ll love.
- And of course, the great writing!
Have you read the Lunar Chronicles? If you have what book was your favourite? If not, have I convinced you to give it a chance? Tell me in the comments!