The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.
Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite – the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?
The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.
But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?
What I Liked:
- I loved the magic system.
- I know this might be slightly controversial but I really enjoyed The Darkling’s character. I know he did a lot of despicable things but I have a soft spot for villainous characters. I also really enjoyed what happened with his arc.
- The writing and plot were both really good.
- I loved the concept of amplifiers.
- Nikolai Lantsov’s entire character.
- I really enjoyed the “before” and “after” chapters included in all the books.
What I Didn’t Like:
- There were times when the story was a bit slow.
- Mal could be annoying at times.
- The Apparat, he was creepy and annoying (but that was kind of the purpose of his character so maybe I should’ve added this to what I liked).
Do I Recommend It?
If you enjoy fantasy books with an interesting magic system and a very despicable villain than you should definitely check this out.
One Quote Per Book:
- “And there’s nothing wrong with being a lizard either. Unless you were born to be a hawk.” ―
- “What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men.” ―
- “Beauty was your armor. Fragile stuff, all show. But what’s inside you? That’s steel. It’s brave and unbreakable. And it doesn’t need fixing.” ―
The covers are all very similar and I do like them all but I like the colour scheme of Shadow and Bone the best.
Shadow and Bone, because although I enjoyed all of the books almost equally this one featured the most of the darkling who was definitely my favourite part of this series.